Thursday 1 September 2016

Why Bokang Montjane-Tshabalala ditched her weave.

There was a lot of tension on Monday when students at Pretoria Girls High School set out on a march to protest alleged acts of racism at the school. Many students voiced out their opinion against the school's code of conduct which reportedly instructed pupils to straighten their natural hair. A lot of celebrities have been showing love and support for Pretoria Girls High School pupils in their fight to wear natural hair without being remanded for it. 
Several celebrities, including Simphiwe Dana, Minnie Dlamini and Bokang Montjane-Tshabalala have rallied behind the girls.
In one Instagram post, Bokang wrote: "Dear Beautiful Brown Skinned Girl: Own your crown and wear it with pride!!! They can't handle the power that comes with you loving who and what you are, they will try and kill your confidence, make you believe it's ok to be black but don't be too black, that your crown is too black for society, workplace and even the school environment, don't let them make you feel inferior..."
In another post, the former Miss South Africa explained why she's no longer rocking a weave. 
"I took the weave off because I no longer wanted to apologise for who I am. I am black, I am proud of it, I have no shame in the colour of my skin, I have no shame in my crown... I am a  beautiful brown skinned girl... I am Bokang Remaredi Mohlapa Montjane-Tshabalala
Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment