Thursday 17 March 2016

A DAY WITH KUBY UYANGA.


 


COCOSISTA: Who is Kuby Uyanga

KUBY: In very basic terms, Kuby Uyanga is a 30 year old Nigerian writer.

COCOSISTA: Basic terms? That means there’s more to you?

KUBY: Yes. I have a variety of interests, some as an amateur and others on a professional level. I hold a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering. I am an actor. I am also a public speaker with keen interest in personal development. Writing is the vocation that cuts across almost all I do, so I introduce myself as a writer most times.

COCOSISTA: Wow. Could you give a brief on your background and how you transitioned from engineering to your current career?

KUBY: I was born in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state into a close-knit family. I have three siblings. I had the regular Nigerian childhood with its attendant ups and downs. I was registered in a performing arts troupe for children to keep me busy during the holidays, I believe that is where I caught the creative bug. However, my dad insisted I follow through academics. He was particular about me becoming an engineer. My primary and secondary education was in Akwa Ibom state after which I gained admission into the then Federal University of Technology, now Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa state from where I earned my degree. I held engineering jobs in Abuja after graduating. These jobs did not fulfil me so about eighteen months ago, I made the decision to move to Lagos and build the career in the creative industry.

COCOSISTA: Interesting journey I must say. Has it been a smooth ride?

KUBY: Far from it. There’s been challenges every step of the way. From family disapproval, financial difficulties of moving to a new city and getting my foot in the door. However, there’s been progress despite the temporary obstacles.

COCOSISTA: What is your screen name?

KUBY: My screen name is same as my real name. Kuby Uyanga!

COCOSISTA: When did you start acting?

KUBY: I started acting as a primary school kid in school plays and in a performing arts troupe during the holidays but I stopped acting after I graduated from primary school. I resumed acting professionally soon after I relocated to Lagos, precisely January 2015. I had a role in Emem Isong’s LAGOS COUGARS – the series.

COCOSISTA:
How did you land a role in JENIFA’S DIARY
 
KUBY: I had a meeting with someone and the person called to say he’d be late for the meeting because he was at an audition. As the meeting was important to me, I decided to go meet him at the audition venue. It turned out to be the auditions for JENIFA”S DIARY. After our meeting, I decided to also audition and the rest as they say is history. I was cast for a role and I also became one of the writers of the comedy series.
COCOSISTA: You seem to be versatile. You write scripts, act and blog. Which do you enjoy doing more?
KUBY: Yes I have a range of interests. However writing is always closest to my heart.
COCOSISTA: When did you start writing?
KUBY: I started writing when I was in JSS 1. Before then I’d always believed I could make a great writer. I admired the art because I was an avid reader from an early age. I had read Charles Dickens’ David Copperfield and a couple of James Hadley Chase titles by the time I was 10 years old.
COCOSISTA: You are also a public speaker. Can you tell us about your outfit?
KUBY: Yes I am a public speaker and a member of Toastmasters International, the leading movement committed to making effective oral communication and leadership capacity development a worldwide reality. I am Director of Letters at Kuboid Communications. Our services include executive coaching on public speaking and writing of speeches among the provision of other bespoke content solutions.
COCOSISTA: Are you emotionally attached to anyone at the moment?
KUBY: Oh yes I am emotionally attached to a number of people. My family and friends! Of course I know you mean whether I am in a romantic relationship with anyone. No I am no significant other.
COCOSISTA: It’s been wonderful having a peep into your world. As a parting shot, can you tell us what your typical day is like?
KUBY: I usually wake up between 2 and 3am every day. I pray, exercise, plan my day and write till dawn. I then prepare and go out for any appointment, meetings or job commitments I have during the day. I always try to sleep before 11pm every night so I can get up early to have a head start before dawn. However, I don’t have outside engagements on some days so I spend all day writing. A perfect day is one when I can write uninterrupted all day! 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment